I’ve been fortunate to have played every significant Myrtle Beach golf course but in some cases, way too much time has elapsed between rounds.
As we happily turn the page on 2020, here are five courses that top of my personal “must play” list:
1. I’ve played Pawleys Plantation as many times as any course in the area. Unfortunately, it has been way too long since I last challenged the Jack Nicklaus design. The layout is beautiful and bruising, and I’m ready to take another shot at conquering Pawleys after more than five years away. Beware, Jack, I’m bringing my middling game to one of your most memorable courses with every intention of playing bogey golf.
2. Legends is always busy, but I’ve managed to play Moorland and Parkland in recent years. The same can’t be said for Heathland, (pictured below) the Scottish-inspired Tom Doak layout that is regarded by many as the facility’s best. The fairways are wide, helping mitigate the damage my wayward drive can inflict. This is a place I want to play again.
3. World Tour Golf Links is minutes from my house. I love the concept of the replica holes and the course is always in great shape. I have no good excuses for not teeing it up here on occasion, and it’s a right I’m going to wrong. Besides, I can’t wait to play 17 at TPC Sawgrass and Amen Corner!
4. Thistle Golf Club (top photo) is located just across the state line in Brunswick County, N.C., and it’s worth the drive to play the Tim Cate design. Unfortunately, I haven’t done so in several years. I’m going to treat myself to a day at the 27-hole facility and then enjoy a bite to eat in one of the nicest clubhouses along the Carolinas coast.
5. There are three courses at Myrtle Beach National, and I always seem to tee it up at King’s North or SouthCreek. I’m playing the West Course (pictured right) in 2021. Conditions will be good and guess what – I’d love to have a great scoring round! According to the blue blazers at the USGA, the West Course is Myrtle Beach’s easiest layout and I’m ready to put that theory to the test.