Deciding where to play on your next Myrtle Beach golf trip is a labor of love, forcing group leaders into tough decisions.
Myrtle Beach’s most popular golf package – the Founders Group All-Inclusive, which provides lunch and two draft beers daily – allows you to choose among 21 different courses, and that’s just one example of many.
As you mull the options for your next trip, here are five reasons Pine Lakes Country Club should be at or near the top of your list.
1. The 2021 greens and bunker renovation project has been even better than advertised. The greens are pure and the bunkers, which now feature a Capillary Concrete liner, are among the area’s best. The Granddaddy is 95 years old and it has never been better than it is right now.
2. A par 70, Pine Lakes, which opened in 1927, provides a different type of Myrtle Beach golf experience. The course is open off the tee and the property features natural elevation change on the back nine that is unusual for the area. Pine Lakes has an old-school ethos that is easy to appreciate.
3. If you like a challenge, the course has a trio of par 4s that might be Myrtle Beach’s toughest. The third hole, which plays 426 yards from the (No. 3 tees), is long and the approach is the day’s most daunting, forcing players to hit a green flanked by water on the right. Number 13 is 424 yards and it’s followed by the 425-yard 14th, which plays to a green in the shadow of the Myrtle Beach skyline. There isn’t a tougher trio of par 4s at the beach and the opportunity to challenge them is to be relished.
4. Pine Lakes is dripping with history and that adds to the fun. This was Myrtle Beach’s first course and the clubhouse (make sure you eat lunch inside) is on the national registry of historic places. The ambiance at Pine Lakes – the birthplace of Sports Illustrated – contributes to an enjoyable day.
5. As if Pine Lakes doesn’t already have enough going for it, it’s located in the heart of Myrtle Beach (the 14th green is less than 700 yards from the Atlantic Ocean!). This is the area’s most centrally located course and the convenience is icing on the cake.
Your choices are many on a Myrtle Beach golf trip, but Pine Lakes merits serious consideration.