River Hills Golf & Country Club will celebrate its 35th birthday in 2023 by welcoming players to a layout with brand new greens and bunkers, an effort that will ensure the Tom Jackson design remains a favorite of in-the-know group leaders.
As golfers look forward to playing the “new” River Hills, what can they expect to find?
– If you’ve been paying attention, you know the putting surfaces at River Hills are, on average, 40 percent larger than they were pre renovation. But what does that mean for you? An increase in the number of pinnable locations is the biggest change, which means more room for creativity and fun for players.
– The most dramatic change was to the green on the par 4 10th hole. Prior to the renovation, the front of the green was a couple paces wide and there were only two hole locations. Now there are multiple pinnable areas and there is a 3-club difference from the front of the green to the back.
– Every bunker on the course is being touched. Some are being reduced in size, others renovated, and they are all receiving new concrete capillary bunker liners, ensuring quality year-round conditions. Additionally, some of the fairways bunkers are being flattened, making them more playable and improving sightlines to the green. Those are all wins for golfers.
– The bunker renovation project will be completed by mid-March, allowing golfers to enjoy a layout that is in spectacular condition during the heart of the spring season.
– Yes, the greens are considerably larger but they still aren’t big by contemporary standards, so don’t get unnecessarily aggressive. This is a ball strikers course and the best recipe for success remains to find the 150-yard marker in the fairway and then play to the middle of the green. Do those two things and a good day should await.
After you enjoy the renovated golf course, make it a point to have lunch or happy hour in River Hills’ pro shop restaurant, which has the feel of a sports bar. If you are looking for a recommendation, the Buffalo chicken wrap is a winner.
Myrtle Beach is full of courses that deliver great golf and value, and River Hills is near the top of the list.